Today we remember Our Lady of Sorrows. This feast day is appropriately celebrated after the feast of the Triumph of the Cross. Today we are again reminded of the power in redemptive suffering. On this day we are invited to share in Mary's sorrow and grief as she had to watch her son, Jesus, suffer and die for us! What a powerful model we have in Mary, and what a perfect example for us in what it means to embrace redemptive suffering.
The Sorrows of Mary
* The prophecy of Simeon (Luke 2:34)
* The Holy Family's flight into Egypt. (Matthew 2:13)
*The loss of the child Jesus for three days. (Luke 2:43)
* The meeting of Jesus on his way to Calvary (Luke 23:26)
* Standing at the foot of the Cross (John 19:25)
* Jesus being taken from the Cross (Matthew 27:57)
* The burial of Christ. (John 19:40)
Ideas for remembering this day as a family:
- Say seven Hail Marys in honor of her seven sorrows
- Pray a rosary
- Ask for Mary's intercession for the courage and perseverance in following God's will, even when it causes us pain and sorrow
- Pray a Chaplet of the Seven Sorrows.
- Reflect on the Stabat Mater.