Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Saint Agatha, Pray for Us!


Today we celebrate the Feast of St. Agatha an early Christian martyr. She was willing to endure suffering and death to protect her purity and remained faithful to God throughout all trials and tribulations. She is the the patron saint for ailments of the breast and breast cancer patients.

Legend states that after St. Agatha was arrested, she prayed: “Jesus Christ, Lord of all things! You see my heart, you know my desires. Possess all that I am—you alone. I am your sheep; make me worthy to overcome the devil.” And in prison: “Lord, my creator, you have protected me since I was in the cradle. You have taken me from the love of the world and given me patience to suffer. Now receive my spirit.” What a beautiful example of trust and abandonment to Our Lord!

Celebrating this Feast as a Family
  • Pray specifically for those suffering and for those who have survived breast cancer or any breast disease.
  • Pray for victims of sexual assault and their assailants.
  • Pray for all people to develop the virtues of purity and chastity in their lives.
  • In some areas it is tradition to bless bread on this day, so you may consider making some homemade bread or rolls together as a family. You could pray for one of the intentions above while preparing and baking the bread.
  • I have a cookbook that suggests preparing a carrot cake on this day, where the white icing is a symbol of Agatha's purity, and the nuts remind us of the hot coals she endured.

No comments:

Post a Comment