Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Presentation of the Lord


Lord, now you let your servant go in peace,
your word has been fulfilled:
My own eyes have seen the salvation,
which you have prepared in the sight of every people:
a light to reveal you to the nations
and the glory of your people Israel.

Today is the Feast of the Presentation of the Lord. This feast day can also be known as Candlemas, and marks the purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Presentation of Jesus in the temple. Traditionally this is a day when candles are blessed. Here is an excellent commentary about this feast that is worth a read, and explains it much better than I ever could. Today I am also reminded that as a mother I should constantly strive to have the same fiat that our Blessed Mother had, even in the face of great sorrow. How hard it must have been for Mary to hear Simeon's words:

"And Simeon blessed them, and said to Mary his mother: Behold this child is set for the fall, and for the resurrection of many in Israel, and for a sign which shall be contradicted; And thy own soul a sword shall pierce, that, out of many hearts, thoughts may be revealed."


No mother wants to hear that her child will suffer greatly,.and no mother can watch her child suffer without feeling a pain in her own heart and soul
.

Lord, please help me to guide my children throughout life and to be open to your will, even if that means watching my child suffer for a greater good. Help me to always keep the Light of Christ in my soul, and let that light shine in all my thoughts, actions and words. Help me to nurture your light in the lives of my children. Blessed Mother, intercede for me and for my loved ones. Guide us to the heart of your son, Jesus.


Ideas for Celebrating this Feast Day
  • The tradition in Europe is to eat pancakes or crepes. Sounds like a perfect excuse to make some cream and fruit filled crepes for dessert! :)
  • Make cookies that look like candles.
  • Light holy candles in your home.
  • Read the account of the Presentation in Luke as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment